Thursday 14 January 2010

_I am not separate from my environment


How can I visualise the relationship between myself and my environment?  These two illustrations show two illustrations of the relationship between the individual and the environment.  What difference does it make to my daily decisions if I acknowledge the extent of the interplay between each of my small decisions and the health of the wider environment?

A \ Individual-centric view: I am in control of the sphere of influence of my actions.  I can employ the people and resources around me to satisfy my needs, ideas and desires without any negative impact.



B \ Environment-dependent view:  I cannot choose the sphere of influence of my actions.  Everything I do and experience is a direct result of [and cause of] the environment in which I live.  Everything I choose to do has a direct impact at all levels of humanity and the environment.  My health is entirely dependent on the health of my surroundings.



No comments:

Post a Comment